Eso es alcanzar lo más alto,

lo que tal vez nos dará el Cielo:

no admiraciones ni victorias

sino sencillamente ser admitidos

como parte de una Realidad innegable,

como las piedras y los árboles.

Jorge Luis Borges

Fervor de Buenos Aires (1923)

This is the best that can happen,

What heaven perhaps will grant us:

Not to be wondered at or required

To succeed

But simply to be let in

As part of an undeniable Reality,

Like stones of the road, like trees.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Presents, parties and goodbyes

Things seem to be speeding up toward my departure.  I finished work and sent in the final copy of my thesis all on the same day (Sept 30).  Then last night I had my goodbye party for work out at Cindy and Mark's cabin at the lake.  The staff had raided the ER shelves and so I got lots of medical supplies, some of which I think might cause some questions at the border crossings:
If you can't see in detail everything that's included it's probably for the best.
They also gave me this t-shirt which I can see myself wearing while I'm trying to hitch a ride on some central american highway:
And lastly, this key chain:
It's a poem by Argentine writer and philosopher Jorge Luis Borges and in case you can't read it, it says:

This is the best that can happen-
What heaven perhaps will grant us:
Not to be wondered at or required
To succeed
But simply to be let in
As part of an undeniable Reality,
Like stones of the road, like trees.

It's a poem that really struck me a few years back and I think it's a really good framework to go to Central America with.  It's easy to feel completely inadequate in any social work job because the need is so much greater than any resources we might have to offer.  The problems are always complex and often there are no clear cut solutions.  I know I'll probably feel even more inadequate in El Salvador so I want to keep in mind what's important, which is letting people in.  I'm glad that I've got it on a key chain so I can remind myself of that often!  Here's a link to the article about mental health and social inclusion where I first saw this for anyone who might be so inclined.
Well, I need to get my house packed so I guess that is enough stalling for today.  I've got the next three days to pack everything and bring it to mom and dad's where we'll be having a garage sale on Thursday and Friday and getting rid of almost everything.  Then is Thanksgiving weekend, and I leave the following Sunday.  Like I said, this leaving seems to really be speeding up.

No comments:

Post a Comment